Have you ever wondered why you would sometimes feel so de-motivated to do anything? That is me during this period staying at home. I wake up sometimes and feel like going back to sleep with no motivation to do anything. I know most of you can relate. Whatever I committed to and said I will do, I cannot seem to get energy or motivation to continue. What happens? What are the reasons?
Here are some of the things that I did to take care of what am committed to and ensure to follow up through:-
- Write down goals. It all starts here. I decided to take the issue on writing goals seriously. Each activity that I anticipated to take the next day would be written no matter how small or insignificant it may seem, this way I ensuring consistently followed my goals without the fail. Making sure before I sleep everything is fully accomplished and then write the goals for the next day. This ensures that I maximized in my time.
- Be consistent and stay committed. For instance, if my goal for the week was to write three blogs, I ensured to follow that without fail. This enabled me to see my progress no matter how slow it seemed at least I was able to accomplish a lot.
- Discipline \Follow- up the next day. Discipline comes when you told yourself you must do something and ensuring you follow it up to the later without fail. I learned this through the hard way, with the technology and our own minds distracting us from high value activities. So when I put my mind on an activity for example, reading I ensured to put my phone on flight mode or even switch off.
- Starting with the difficult tasks. Difficult tasks usually make us less motivated to continue with the tasks. Therefore, starting with such tasks enables one to complete them. For instance, usually I love to learn new skills such as something that I heard off and could be important to my life. Some of the skills are difficult but I would push myself harder to guarantee that I finish the course till the end.
- Avoid procrastination. “Procrastination makes easy things hard, hard things harder”, Mason Cooley. Procrastination turns one of these days into none of these days. I understood this and ensured to always complete each and every task I commit to in my list of goals for the day before going to bed.
- Avoid multitasking. Multitasking makes one to put off multiple things at once and screwing up several things at once. Ever since I learned about the disadvantages of multitasking, I try as much as possible to concentrate on one activity at a time till the end. This way I have been able to be productive.
- Encourage yourself, see the benefits. In each and everything I do, first ensure I know the benefits, the importance. I ask myself, “what will I gain from this?” After I analyze all these then I undertake the activity without going back.
- Passion for what I do, be excited. Love what you do. Be attached to it, if you don’t, you will never get yourself to doing it. I love reading and writing. I make sure to put all my efforts and energy to it. This enables me to be motivated throughout despite it all. If you are excited to do it, you will not even need anyone forcing you into it.
- Be accountable to someone. Have a person you report to on your progress. It could be a family member or a friend. Someone whom you will have to be answerable too. Personally I have a close friend that will always ask about whether I accomplished a task that I put myself through or said I would do.
- Add a relaxation period. Include in your goals a period of rest and extra curriculum activity such as listening music or playing a game such as cards and online games. This way you have a period to rethink through, for example, when I do writing usually I have a period of two hours of writing then the next hour I would rest and think through as well as brainstorm.
- Reward yourself. For every goal achieved, reward yourself with something, for example, I usually reward myself with good night sleep and a good dinner. This gives me the motivation to go on.
- Read or stream a video on motivation. There are thousands of motivational videos in YouTube. When I feel tired and not motivated, I always prefer to watch videos on motivation and also read about motivation and things that will make you motivated.
This simple tricks have enabled me to accomplish most tasks despite the hardship related to zoning out and lack of interest. Distraction from the technological devices also are a big hindrances.